ESCOP Publication Procedures
ESCOP Publication Procedure
Approval, Review and Distribution
Approval and Review Procedures
Proposals to prepare publications either printed (hard copy) or electronic by ESCOP, its committees, or any special group representing ESCOP, should be submitted to the chair of ESCOP and be approved by ESCOP in advance of preparation. Requests for USDA funding for the preparation of special publications or proceedings from states, regions, committees of ESCOP, or the full membership ESCOP should be submitted to the chair of ESCOP, approved in advance by ESCOP, and submitted by the chair of ESCOP to the administrator of NIFA or other administrator, if appropriate.
Publication guidelines should be considered in the early stages of preparation of ESCOP reports, especially those intended to impact policy makers in the Executive Branch or in Congress.
Drafts of ESCOP publications will be submitted to the chair of the Planning Committee (acting as a clearing house) for review. The chair of the Planning Committee will ask for an appropriate group to review the document with respect to its utility for the intended audience. Reviewers may include congressional staffers or other potential users, if appropriate. Reviews will be conducted in a timely manner.
- The title of the publication.
- A statement that the publication originates from the Experiment Station Committee on Organization and Policy, Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities.
- A statement that the publication is in cooperation with the National Institute of Food and Agriculture, if appropriate.
- ESCOP Identifying Symbol (must be the 1975 logo or the five letters, "ESCOP"). Title Pages: The title pages shall include the following essential information. (Publishers may vary the location of the information on the individual title pages.)
- The full title of the publication.
- Source, i.e., the name of the author, compiler or editor (personal or corporate) or any combination of these. This includes committees.
- Acknowledgment statement, i.e., the names of others who have made a significant contribution to the publication.
- The name of the publisher.
- The year of the publication in Arabic numbers and a series identification.
Back of the Title Page or Second Electronic Page
- The copyright notice and related information, if applicable
- Photocopying or electronic sharing authorization statement: "Information contained in the publication is in the public domain and may be reproduced without permission. However, citation of the source is expected and will be appreciated."
- Nondiscrimination statement as follows: "State Agricultural Experiment Stations (1862), the Agriculture Research Stations (1890), and the U.S. Department of Agriculture are equal opportunity employers and information contained in this publication is available to everyone without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, or handicap."
Distribution of Publications will be by electronic means except where printed copy is the only form accepted by the requester. Distribution of publications to the National Agricultural Library (NAL) will be by direct notice to the Head, Gift and Exchange Program, NAL. The notification will include the publication title and location/access information, e.g., server address, URL, etc. The NAL will catalog (or index) the publications which will become part of the AGRICOLA data base and other electronic data bases, as they deem appropriate. Notice of the publication should also be sent to the following:
- Library of Congress
- Libraries of both the 1862 and 1890 Land-Grant Universities and their branch units
- Libraries of the AASCARR institutions
- Libraries of selected private universities
- Libraries of selected private organizations. An attempt will be made by the regional EDs to provide these labels based upon subject matter interests of the industries
- Congressional offices
- Each individual member of congress
- Offices of relevant congressional committees
- Offices of the chair of relevant congressional committees
- Board of Agriculture, National Academy of Sciences
- Research, Education and Economics, USDA
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA
- Agricultural Research Service, USDA
- Forest Service, USDA
- Economic Research Service, USDA
- Agricultural Marketing Service, USDA
- Human Nutrition Information Service, USDA
- National Research Conservation Service, USDA
- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA
- Foreign Agricultural Service, USDA
- Department of Commerce
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Department of Interior
- United States Geological Survey
- Department of Transportation
- Department of Energy
- Department of Health and Human Services
- National Institutes of Health
- Food and Drug Administration
- Department of Defense
- Environmental Protection Agency
- National Science Foundation
- White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
- Each director, and associate, and assistant director (i.e., the Section members)
- Each regional Executive Director
- Selected Deans of Colleges of Human Sciences that have active research programs linked to State Agricultural Experiment Stations
- Each Dean of Colleges of Veterinary Medicine
- Agricultural representatives on the APLU staff
- Executive Director for Extension located at APLU
- Others to be designated by ESCOP